Baking with Kim and Xian
October 3, 2008
It’s Raya holiday! I was back home on Tuesday night and Kim came along with me to stay over at my place. We planned to bake on the following day. I have prepared chocolate pastry and placed it in the freezer a few days ago. But before that, I made pancakes for breakfast. Instead of normal pancakes, I added some flavours to them. Here’s what we’ve got:
From top: Cappuccino, green tea & strawberry pancakes
Let me share with you this easy pancake recipe.
150g plain flour
1 1/2 baking powder
70g caster sugar
1 tsp flavouring/essence of your choice
1/4 tsp colouring (optional)
1. Sift flour and baking powder in to a mixing bowl. Add in sugar and stir it.
2. Make a hollow in the center, add egg and half of the water.
3. Stir until mixture is smooth.
4. Add in flavouring/essence and colouring.
5. While stirring, gradually add in the remaining water and beat with a whisk into a smooth batter.
6. Set aside the batter for 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, heat a drop of oil in a small non-stick frying pan.
8. Wipe off the oil from the pan lightly with a paper kitchen towel.
9. When pan is just hot, pour a spoonful of batter on the pan.
10. Cook over medium heat until the upper half of the pancake starts to dry.
11. Flip over and cook the other side.
12. Remove pancake onto a plate.
*You can serve your pancake with jam, honey or golden syrup with a scoop of ice-cream.
After breakfast, we rolled out and baked the chocolate pastry. Sadly, the crust didn’t turn to good. There were ‘air bubbles’ on the inner side of the crust which caused an uneven surface and they didn’t look pretty. Apart from that, they were as hard as rock! Kim couldn’t bite them coz she wears braces. Oh dear, I think I’d just stick to my old recipe and substitute some of the flour with some cocoa powder if I want to make chocolate pastry again. Anyway, we didn’t want to waste them so I came up with lemon meringue tarts and Xian made her cream cheese tarts. I failed my meringue too. I guess we over beat the egg white and sugar thus it’s foamy and coarse. However the lemon custard was good.
Cream cheese tart & lemon meringue tart