October 9, 2008
Penang Laksa Recipe (serves 5)
Pineapple (cut into strips)
Onion (sliced finely)
Red chilly (Sliced)
1 tbsp black shrimp paste mixed with a little hot water
6 pcs dried chillies (soaked in hot water till soft)
3 slices galanga/lengkuas
15g prawn paste/belachan (roasted/baked)
2 stalks lemon grass/serai (sliced)
2 tbsp tamarind paste (mix with 100ml water and strain the juice)
1.2 litre water/fish stock
6 pcs polygonum flowers/daun Kesum
1 pcs wild ginger flowers/bunga kantan
4 pcs dried tamarind skin
150g sardine (remove bones)
1 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1. Blend paste ingredients with some water.
2. Heat oil in wok and fry paste till fragrant.
3. Add water/fish stock to boil.
4. Add tamarind juice, polygonum leaves, wild ginger flowers and dried tamarind. Simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add flaked sardine fish, sugar and salt. Simmer.
6. Remove leaves, steams and dried tamarind skins just before dishing out the gravy.
7. Put Laksa noodles in a bowl and garnish.
8. Pour boiling gravy over noodles and serve with 1 tbsp of shrimp paste.